Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chapter 11

Our economy isn't doing so well, in case you didn't know. Several businesses are filing bankruptcy, and people are losing their jobs. Gottschalks just filed Chapter 11. Gottschalks is now going the way of Mervyn's and many other businesses that just couldn't make it in today's market. Unfortunately, this has implications far worse than me losing a place to shop on Saturdays.

One of my best friend's father has worked for Gottschalks as a photographer for several years. I fear now that her life, and the lives of her family members, will drastically change. Her father currently has 3 months garunteed, but after that, who knows?

It is my personal (and maybe not so professional) oppinion that something drastic must be done. Unfortunately, President-elect Obama isn't offering any promising suggestions. In fact, his thoughts on the subject scare me half to death. I'm very afraid that I will be paying for the debts of our country long after I am unable to work. The next generation will likely be paying for our debts. And there is nothing any of us can do about it.

For the sake of everyone I know, and future generations whom I don't know, I hope that my grim outlook on the future is wrong. I hope that all of Obama's plans work out for the best, and that he manages to turn our country around. I fear, however, that this will not be the case. Our country's situation will get worse before it gets better. The good news is that, eventually, it will get better. Yes, it is possible that this won't happen until after the Lord returns, but it will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment